Kaïcedra has been supporting rural communities in northern Burkina Faso for nine years in the fields of education, health, food aid and women's mobility.
Created in 2010, Kaïcedra directly supports Burkinabe villagers to set up their own projects and initiatives to meet the most urgent needs of their community.
The Association works directly with partners on site, without intermediaries. Every year, we travel to Burkina Faso to monitor the progress of actions and projects and hold regular follow-up meetings via tools such as videoconferencing and instant messages.
Examples of our actions :
- Schooling of children who wish to attend school but who do not have the financial means to enroll
- Mutual health insurance for children and the destitute ones health insurance, wound prevention and treatment, rural health awareness, distribution of hygiene kits)
- Financial aid for bicycles at social prices for women who want to work and earn enough to support their families and so that girls can finally go to school, without having to walk there (schools could be more than 8 km from their village)
- Construction and management of a cultural center to welcome young people from the surrounding areas: library, study and tutoring area, cultural entertainment room, cinema club and theatre
- Construction of school and health care infrastructure
2018/2019 activity report
The association supports 80 pupils in nursery school in order to improve learning conditions and to provide basic French (oral and written) and math education necessary for their entry into primary school. They are also covered by the Mutuelle santé and have access to a snack and a hot meal per day.
Thanks to our active members and donations, we sponsored 149 elementary school children, 59 college students and 3 university students during the 2018/2019 school year. The sponsorship includes school fees and supplies, school uniforms, bags and shoes, lunch in the canteen, membership of the Mutuelle Santé as well as support classes and a bicycle for schoolchildren.
The harvests went well in 2018/2019 and we did not need to provide food aid for the first time in 9 years.
The mutual health insurance company
In June 2019, the Mutual has more than 3,300 members (it covers Irim and its districts as well as 56 villages). Each affiliate pays the equivalent of CHF 10 per year and has access to three complete free. In 2018/2019, our local team treated 520 wounds.
We also distributed 300 hygiene kits to children in kindergarten and CP1 and CP2, each containing a net, soap dish, toothbrushes, toothpaste tubes and soaps. Awareness sessions were also associated with the distributions.
Subsidy for bicycles at social prices
Between July 1, 2018 and June 30, 2019, Kaïcedra funded 200 bicycles at social prices for women working in markets and for high school girls sponsored by Kaïcedra.
Management of a cultural center
During the 2018/2019 school year, we employed an educator to supervise the center’s activities and to provide tutoring. We also completed the center by purchasing equipment (chalk, repairing paintings, books, etc.).
It took place in November 2018. Our Committee members, Françoise and Stefane, visited northern Burkina Faso for 10 days and reviewed all the projects and met all the important actors involved in our work.
Kaïcedra & UTMB®
The 2020 UTMB solidarity race bibs will support Kaïcedra's concrete actions :
- Schooling of children who wish to attend school but who do not have the financial means to enroll. 1 bib = 10 students enrolled for one year.
- Food distribution to malnourished families who can regain their strength and survive periods of famine. 1 bib = 1000 people fed for 1 month.
- Distribution de vivres aux familles en malnutrition qui peuvent ainsi retrouver des forces et survivre aux périodes de disette. 1 dossard = 1000 personnes nourries pour 1 mois.
- Free care for children and destitute families (shared health insurance, wound prevention and treatment, awareness of certain – sometimes mortal - diseases). 1 number = 100 free wound treatments.
- Subsidy for bicycles at social prices so that women can get back to work and earn enough to support their families and so that girls can finally go to school. 1 bib = 55 bicycles.
- Construction and management of a cultural center to welcome young people from the surrounding areas: library, study and school support area, cultural entertainment room, cinema club and theatre. 1 bib = enough to cover the management costs of the center for one year.
A few lines on the Kaïcedra team's experience during the 2019 UTMB
Throughout the week we were able to live and share your sporting passion with this large family of volunteers and enthusiasts. Everything was wonderfully prepared so that runners and crews could experience the different races in the best possible conditions.
Our team on site vibrated with our four committed runners but also with all of you during the presentation evening. What a wonderful spirit of sharing emerged from all the speeches and testimonies! We are proud to be part of this supportive family.
A huge thank you to our runners :
- Xavier Defour
- Pierre Eisenhuth
- Benjamin Guyonnet
- Ivan Zaguirre
Carole, Françoise et Stéphan.