NB: These FAQs are intended to clarify the entry process for the 2021 UTMB® Mont-Blanc. The list will be implemented over time in order to keep answering FAQs.
IMPLEMENTATION OF THE NEW SYSTEM AND TRANSITION PERIOD
- When will the new system be set up?
The new system will be implemented gradually. The new number of qualifying points and the ticket system for the lottery will apply for 2020 UTMB® Mont-Blanc races. Runnings stones can be collected from 2020 onwards and can therefore be used to register for one of the 2021 UTMB® Mont-Blanc races.
- I was not selected in the 2019 and 2020 lottery (I applied both times for the same race), do I keep the advantage I had acquired?
Runners who were not selected in the 2019 and 2020 lottery (if they have applied both times for the same race) will keep their advantage allowing them to complete the process they have begun. Runners will keep therefore the advantages they have gained.
Ex: I was not selected in the 2019 and 2020 CCC® lottery. I can enter the CCC® without going through the lottery in 2021, IF I have gained my qualifying points during the qualifying period AND if I register during the registration period, within the deadline.
- Which UTMB® Mont Blanc races are affected by this new system?
The UTMB®, CCC®, TDS® and OCC are affected by this new entry process. The MCC remains reserved for volunteers, local runners and partners. Special registration conditions apply for the MCC, the PTL®® and the YCC.
HOW DO RUNNING STONES WORK?
- Do running stones expire? Running stones are valid for a period of 4 years. For example, running stones gained in 2020 can be used to register for one of the UTMB® Mont-Blanc races in 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024. If not used, they will expire in 2025.
- Can I use my running stones several times? You can trade your running stones for a direct entry without having to go through the lottery. Once used, the running stones will disappear from your stock.
- I don't have enough running stones to register or my running stones will expire soon (I have had them for more than 4 years): You can then decide to transform all or part of your running stones into additional tickets for the lottery, in order to improve your probability of being selected.
- Could the number of running stones required to register for the UTMB® Mont-Blanc change? Yes, it may change from year to year. Every February, we will announce the number of running stones requested to register for the following year’s edition of the UTMB® Mont-Blanc.
- Do the races of the UTMB® Mont-Blanc award running stones? Only the MCC awards running stones
- What is a ticket? It is a ticket with your name for the lottery. If you have 2 tickets, your name appears twice (“in the hat”), thus doubling your odds in the lottery vs someone who only has 1 ticket. If you have 3 tickets, your name appears three times, thus tripling your odds in the lottery, and so on.
- What happens if I am not selected via the lottery?
If you fail to gain entry, you will get an additional ticket when entering the lottery in a subsequent year and for a race of your choice. Tickets accumulate indefinitely (no more direct entry if you are not selected via the lottery two years in a row) even if you do not apply every year and even if you do not always apply for the same race. If you are entered in a race at any point your ticket counts will start over at the next lottery.
Example: 2020, first CCC® application, 1 ticket and not selected in the lottery
2021, no application
2022, application for the UTMB®, 2 tickets and selected
2023, TDS® application with only one ticket again
- Is it still possible to register as a group?
Yes, it is still possible to register for the lottery as a group. A group may consist of runners pre-registered for different races (excluding the MCC and PTL®®). In this case, the group participates in the lottery for the race for which the percentage of chance of winning is the weakest. A group may consist of runners owning a different number of tickets. In this case, members of the group participate in the lottery with the number of tickets of the member of the group that owns the least number of tickets.
- Will the number of races which award running stones change? Yes, the number of races will change in the coming years to make the collection of running stones possible regardless of the region of the world where you live.
REGISTRATIONS, TICKETS AND RUNNING STONES
- How can I manage my registrations, tickets and running stones?
From 2020, your runner’s account will allow you to check the number of running stones that you have collected and to trade them for direct entry without having to go through the lottery or for tickets. You will also be able to check your qualifying points for the UTMB® Mont-Blanc races.
- Will the number of qualifying points change over the next few years? No, because the qualifying races are now only used to confirm the experience of the runners. However, the organization has the right to make any changes if deemed necessary.
CANCELLATION OF A REGISTRATION
- I benefit from a direct entry following an osteo-articular or muscular injury, does the new system cancel my advantage? No, the UTMB® will honor all commitments promised in the past.
- I registered for the UTMB® Mont-Blanc by using my running stones but I have to cancel my registration because of an injury, an accident or an illness. Will my running stones count start over?
Yes, if you wish to cancel your registration you will lose the running stones you have spent (or tickets you have used).
- I am an elite runner, how can I benefit from the special registration conditions?
The special conditions apply automatically at the time of your registration. If this is not the case, please contact us before finalizing your registration.
- I finished one or more races of the previous editions of the UTMB® Mont-Blanc (except the YCC). In the light of the new system, how can I benefit from the running stone?
The running stone will automatically appear in your runner space