Registrations for Oman by UTMB® are now open!
Registration opens on 4 May at 12:00 CET for the first ever OMAN by UTMB® event on 29 November 2018. The all-new OMAN by UTMB® event, hosted by Oman Sail, supported by UTMB® International and the organisers of UTMB® Mont-Blanc will take competitors 85 miles across the Sultanate of Oman’s breathtakingly beautiful mountainous landscape. A premiere is always a special and unique occasion: a limited number of runners allowed to take part, a particular atmosphere with a taste of adventure. If you want to be one of the pioneers, and be able to say, ‘I was there’, you cannot miss this chance! Here’s a sneak peek of what to expect!
The course: a one in a lifetime experience
“Have you ever run in Oman? If not, you need to.” – UTMB® Mont-Blanc Race Director Michel Poletti.
“The Sultanate is like no other place I’ve run before”
Designed to highlight Oman’s natural beauty, the OMAN by UTMB® course will start from the historic town of Birkat Al Mawz and take runners off the beaten track and up the 2,200m heights of Jebel Akhdar, the Green Mountain. The OMAN by UTMB® course will be remote and rugged and will include some of the most dramatic scenery in the world. The route will take runners through abandoned villages which cannot be reached by road, and along deep wadis, narrow gorges and mountain top ridges. Runners will enjoy extraordinary sights and complete immersion in Oman’s varied landscapes. The climbs are long and at times very technical, and there is a vertical gain of 7,800m. The fastest competitors are expected to finish in around 20 hours, with a cut-off of 44 hours.The Sultanate of Oman offers ideal warm winter sunshine conditions, with temperatures varying from 25C during the day at lower levels to 10C and less during the night and in the mountains over 2,000m.
The country: a must see destination
Runners and their friends and families are encouraged to travel, explore and experience the Sultanate’s unrivalled hospitality and first-class accommodation either before or after OMAN by UTMB®. Oman has a rich heritage and embracing society combined with a strong sense of identity and pride in its ancient, trading past. From the bustling souqs of Muscat, to camping, camel rides, desert safaris and 4WD dune bashing in the Wahiba Sands, to swimming in natural sinkholes and exploring ancient forts, Oman has something the whole family can enjoy. OMAN by UTMB® offers a rare chance to engage with the ancient Arab world. Oman's towns retain their traditional charms and cultural values remain at the heart of the warm Omani welcome. With an abundance of natural beauty, the Sultanate is the obvious choice for those seeking out the modern face of Arabia while still wanting to sense its ancient soul. OMAN by UTMB® hosts, Oman Sail, can provide accommodation, travel and other activity packages for those who would like to extend their stay and enjoy the Sultanate.
Four reasons why you should visit Oman:
- In 2017 the World Economic Forum ranked it the fourth safest country in the world for visitor.
- National Geographic and Lonely Planet have declared Oman and its capital Muscat ‘must-see’ destinations.
- Oman is rated as one of the best dive locations on the planet.
- There are direct flights from many major cities to Muscat, the capital of Oman.
Entry conditions and special benefits
- Our ambition is to welcome 300 runners (minimum age of 20). Places are allocated on a first come, first served basis.
- The registration fee is €220, with early registrations before 1 June reduced to €199.
Entry is free for elite runners – men with an ITRA performance index above 800, women above 700
- No qualifying points are needed to take part in the first edition of OMAN by UTMB®
- Finishers will earn the maximum number of six qualifying points which will be valid for three years instead of the usual two
- Finishers save one year in the UTMB® Mont-Blanc registration process: doubling the chance for first-time applicants in the entry lottery for the 2019 edition,and guaranteeing entry in 2019 for those reapplying a second time after being unsuccessful in 2018
Vous pourriez aussi aimer
Creation of UTMB® International and GaoLiGong by UTMB®
AUTMB and OC Sport, two sports marketing companies specialising in outdoor events, today announced the joint creation of UTMB® Int...2 likes 6 shares
UTMB® seen by 5 photographers
For UTMB® blog launching we asked 5 photographers to share their views on the event. Spanish photographer Eduardo Castro, Japanese...12 likes 59 shares
4 experts predictions for UTMB®
This year, UTMB® will see the greatest gathering of top elite runners in its history. Kilian Jornet, Zach Miller, Luis Alberto Her...7 likes 41 shares
Update concerning registration as of 27/12/2017
Greetings to you all, Many of you want to participate in one of our races, thank you for your enthusiasm! What are your chances i...6 likes 30 shares